The photographs on my blog are my own and while you are free to use them please be so kind and credit MyLittleCorner.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Different types of wool.

 Does the type of wool I use matter ?    The simple answer to that question is YES !!

The same pattern, the same hook ... different wool
 It really really does matter what type of wool you decide to use.

Its important to take your time when choosing your wool.   Walking into a lovely wool shop can be overwhelming and at times intimidating. All those colours, all those different textures and thicknesses. Don't you just want to buy the whole lot for whatever reason !!!!  But of course that would break the bank.

It would be very disappointing to come home just to find out you should have bought something else. 
( Sigh !!  I speak from experience)

This is the reason I decided to write this post, and to make this little experiment.  I think that I need to educate myself more on the use of different types of wool and the finished effect.

Of course you can use just about anything to crochet as long as you are enjoying the way it feels. But I have chosen 4 different types of wool to show you what I mean about the different effects.

51% Lambswool 49% Acrylic.  4ply


100% Acrylic 4 ply

100% Cotton

30% Wool 70% Acrylic Double Knitting

There is such a vast difference in the effects that wool makes on your crochet.   If you want something that shows the pattern clearly then smooth lightweight wool seems best, while fuzzy wool disguises the pattern more.   Of course the thickness of the wool will also make a difference to the size of your project and the way that it drapes.  

Good luck with your next crochet project.   From MyLittleCorner








4 comments :

  1. I am enjoying your posts so much Charlotte!
    I have a few balls of wool that I dyed last year....could I send them to you??
    Would you be able to use them??
    Let me know and I will pop them into a bag in a jiffy!! (along with Sam's card) Hope he gets it in time xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please, I would LOVE that .... thanks Jo.,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have packed them up and will post them in the morning!!
    Not a lot, but nice natural colours...
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannt wait to see them and to use them ... thanks for your love and support Jo., it means a lot to me. xx

      Delete