The photographs on my blog are my own and while you are free to use them please be so kind and credit MyLittleCorner.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Trying something new

It is the first day of the school half term holidays here in the Netherlands and it has been a mixture of many things ... first I guess the most important being that we are Potty Training Little R.   Phew !!  What a day , she has tried and has been quite enthusiastic, but as she puts it, " it just falls out !"

As I am sure you can imagine, this translates into many many accidents and not even one success story, but after bath time and a cuddle, we said we would try again tomorrow.  Oh Boy, not sure if I am looking forward to it.  If any of you have any tips they would be very welcome.  I know its my fourth but I don't remember it being so difficult.

On the positive side it has given me the opportunity to stay in one place, in the same room, with Little R, and while she played and (I have to admit ) watched a lot of TV, I attempted to start a Christmas Quilt !!


EllisonLane Christmas Tree Block




My Inspiration came from this wonderful tutorial by EllisonLane, it looked so easy when she did it, but unfortunately I was not as clever as I thought I was ... and decided to make something very similar, but a little bit simpler.

I started last night by making a pattern, what could be simpler right ... well it took a bit of working out to be honest, but I got there in the end.



Originally I thought I might cut the Christmas Tree into three separate pieces, but this proved to be a little too much work for me and I was getting confused, so as I want to enjoy this project I decided to keep it Simple.  You can never go wrong with simple right !


I have tons of scrap material laying around, so I decided to do this quilt as cheaply as possible, using what I already have .   Even though I must admit I would not mind going shopping for some lovely prints at the Delft Market on Thursday.


The next step was to cut everything out.  I decided to start with 12 squares, and while I sat in front of the TV last night watching Strictly Come Dancing and The Paradise, I quietly, without interruption cut out my fabric.   Then today I was able to simply sew each square without too much stress, of course in between the potty training, making dinner, walking the dog, cleaning up after Little R and dealing with the demands of three other children who are home ...


Nevertheless, despite all odds, I made good progress and managed to sew the 12 squares that I had cut out.  Here is an example of a few of them.  I have to admit that a few of them are wonky and a few of the sides dont join up exactly, but I have decided that this gives it Charm.   

I am certainly not a brilliant sewer, actually my machine is a 12 year old basic Privileg, but it does the job and I think its always good to try something new.  I have no idea how to go about quilting it when it is finished either, should I do it block by block or attempt it all as one piece. Well lets deal with that later on.

Are you trying out something new?  I would love to hear about it.

Lots of love from MyLittleCorner

2 comments :

  1. Wow! You're a quick worker Charl!
    The little one will get the hang of things soon - she's a bright button that one.
    Love and hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo., let hope she gets it soon. :)

      Delete