The photographs on my blog are my own and while you are free to use them please be so kind and credit MyLittleCorner.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas Fingerless Mittens

Now that the pressure of finishing all my handmade presents has gone .... phew !! .... I can sit in the evenings and relax once again with my crochet or my knitting.  I have decided to make myself a pair of Christmas Fingerless Mittens.  I have been wanting to make a pair for a while.  So now is my chance.


I picked up this lovely wool on discount ( always, always good ) for just 1 Euro a ball needless to say I was delighted.

I didn't really follow a pattern, it was more guess work and I am so happy with the way it has turned out. 



Now I need to start the other one ....   if you would like to have a go,  I have written the pattern down for you .  Good luck.

Have fun.  Lots of love MyLittleCorner


Pattern:  
Cast on 40 Stitches  Divide between 4 needles.

Knit in the round for 4 Rows. ( This creates a nice rolled sleeve )
You can of course knit ribbed if you like.

5th Row:  K2tog at beg and end of each needle.  ( 8 stitches each needle )
Knit in the round until work measure 5 inches ( or longer if you prefer)

Next comes the shaping of the Thumb ... this is simply increasing. ( I usually pick up the stitch in the middle of 2 stitches and knit behind it )

First k1, place a marker, k1, inc 1, k1, inc 1, place marker (four stitches are now between the  markers)
Second Row of shaping:    k1 all around.
Third Row of shaping:    k1, slip marker, k1, inc1, k until marker, inc1, slip marker. ( 6 stitches are now between the markers )
Fourth Row:  K1 All around.
Then repeat rows 3 and 4 until you have 20 stitches between the markers. 

Then thread the 20 stitches between the markers on some waste yarn.  ( Until later ) 

Continue to knit for another 2 inches on the other stitches or until you have it the length you want, then finish off with 3 rows of rib ( k2,p2 ) decreasing 2 stitches each side during the rib stage ( Just to make it a little tighter on the fingers ....  Cast off.

Then pick up the stitches on the thread, put them on three needles, and knit 2 rows and then cast off ... (You can use rib if you want as well )

Weave in all the ends .... the area between the thumb and the main glove may need weaving in to join them together and there you have it ....




6 comments :

  1. Brilliant! And I love your nail varnish!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo., The nail varnish was Lizzys, she said it would come in handy !! Hahah

      Delete
  2. These are so gorgeous, they really are. I love that yarn, it is just right for some festive mitts. I envy you being in the position of having finished all your gifts, and able to do a little festive crafting for yourself...sadly I am not quite there yet!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillian, it is more relaxing to knit knowing you dont really have a deadline !! :) Good Luck with getting all yours finished.

      Delete
  3. They are amazing, so festive and fun too.

    ReplyDelete